Sunday 9 June 2013

Fuck Yeah Vulvas!

A teacher in Idaho gets in trouble for saying the word...



A teacher in Idaho gets in trouble for saying the word "vagina" during a sex-ed lesson on orgasms. The parents are rallying up to get this man fired, while the students are petitioning against the parents to keep him.

Because he did absolutely nothing wrong and these parents are acting like immature kids. Thank goodness the students are showing a good bit more maturity and intelligence than their parents.

lacigreen: the g-spot (or rather, the "g-area") is a pretty...



lacigreen:

the g-spot (or rather, the "g-area") is a pretty neat little thingy.

fuckyeahgenderstudies: fuckyeahfeminists: ***MAJOR trigger...



fuckyeahgenderstudies:

fuckyeahfeminists:

***MAJOR trigger warning: rape for video***

New Zealand campaign "Who Are You?" video highlights importance of bystander intervention to prevent rape.

This is really arresting.

Rape prevention ad at it's finest.

"We believe that Birth Justice exists when women and transfolks are empowered during pregnancy,..."

"We believe that Birth Justice exists when women and transfolks are empowered during pregnancy, labor, childbirth and postpartum to make healthy decisions for themselves and their babies. Birth Justice is part of a wider movement against reproductive oppression. It aims to dismantle inequalities of race, class, gender and sexuality that lead to negative birth experiences, especially for women of color, low-income women, survivors of violence, immigrant women, queer and transfolks, and women in the Global South. Working for Birth Justice involves educating the community, and challenging abuses by medical personnel and overuse of medical interventions. It also involves advocating for universal access to culturally appropriate, women-centered health care. It includes the right to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy, to choose when, where, how, and with whom to birth, including access to traditional and indigenous birth-workers, such as midwives and doulas, and the right to breastfeeding support."

-

BLACK WOMEN BIRTHING JUSTICE « A collective of African-American, African, Caribbean and multi-racial women who are committed to transforming the birthing experiences for Black women (via becauseiamawoman)

everything about this seems awesome.

(via sexxxisbeautiful)

"Just because you have privilege does not automatically make you a bad person, but denying it and..."

""Just because you have privilege does not automatically make you a bad person, but denying it and actively harming others through your words and actions might. Being an intersectional feminist can be really easy once you consider that we are not all simply just social activists. We all come from different backgrounds. We come from all around the world, have had different experiences, and have different identities. Not everybody is concerned about contraceptives; some social activists are worried about that their sexual orientation or gender will become illegal and ultimately fatal; others that their race and ethnicity will automatically set them back in life statistically.""

-

Race is a feminist issue; Shavon L. McKinstry 

Shavon did such an amazing job on this

(via crystalsavestheday)

A million snaps to my girl Shavon

(via bigfatfeminist)

redefiningbodyimage: alimarko: coolmomxvx: theshewomanboyhater...









redefiningbodyimage:

alimarko:

coolmomxvx:

theshewomanboyhatersclub:

fuckyeahmtfsofcolor:

image

Beautiful

all of this but also omg her hair is so nice

It's not just completely rude and disrespectful to out trans* people. It can put them in danger and you have absolutely no business doing it.

This gif set is perfect, she is perfect, above commentary is perfect

(and not trying to derail anything, but as a stylist, her hair just makes me melt inside.)

"Men often react to women's words - speaking and writing - as if they were acts of violence;..."

"Men often react to women's words - speaking and writing - as if they were acts of violence; sometimes men react to women's words with violence. So we lower our voices. Women whisper, Women apologize. Women shut up. Women trivialize what we know. Women shrink. Women pull back. Most women have experienced enough dominance from men - control, violence, insult, contempt - that no threat seems empty"

-

Andrea Dworkin, Intercourse (via tabularasae)

I have written a post and deleted it many times about my male liberal friends who are trained orators, junior senator types, or my leftist buddies and how difficult it is to engage them in a decent conversation about politics because they instantly resort to patterns of domination and control when speaking to you.

So I shrink, I double-guess myself, I spend a lot of time trying to understand their points of view without getting the same consideration, I get interrupted and harangued, I get spoken over, etc.

(via post-colonial)

Seriously, men everywhere need to recognize this type of behavior and own up to it. I know I've certainly been guilty of this in the past without having even realized it at the time, even while I was attempting to create a "safe space" for dialogue and trying to argue from a feminist perspective. It's terrible, it's embarrassing, and it shouldn't be a thing. I'm trying more and more each day to be aware of not just how I might frame a particular discourse but how my tone, body language, etc. might otherwise reify the sort of patriarchal dominance I always argue against.

(via indianajosh)

I've asserted myself and I've been called a cunt, a bitch, a Crazy Feminist. I defended Iran and Islam (read: Iranian women and Islamic feminisms) in the face of an openly Orientalist, unabashedly Islamophobic white male who said I "wasn't radical enough" — I'm "not the authority on what constitutes a progressive feminist man" — and then told me to fuck off. I have been in classrooms with white men who colonize queer, feminist, POC spaces, who have opinions about struggles that they will never experience. This isn't what feminist pedagogy is about. Feminist pedagogy can open up critical dialogues about oppression that invite folks of all backgrounds to engage in/grapple with/synthesize different ways of knowing/thinking/being. Feminist pedagogy isn't about hierarchy. Feminist pedagogy isn't about appealing to and/or placating our oppressors. Feminist pedagogy isn't about the acute reification of raced/classed/sexed power imbalances. Feminist pedagogy isn't about you stealing and mangling and pathologizing and devouring what we hold sacred.

(via farahjoon)

sexxxisbeautiful: Oh and I wanted to show this off! I designed...



sexxxisbeautiful:

Oh and I wanted to show this off! I designed the pattern and lettering myself [and it took me sooooo long to cross-stitch it] but I finished it and finally framed it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘

Is it okay to have sex during my period?

plannedparenthood:

image

Someone asked us:

can I have sex during my period

Yes! You can absolutely have sex during your period. Period sex is 100 percent fine, as long as you and your partner are both comfortable with it. Some women feel especially aroused during their periods, and orgasms can even help relieve menstrual cramps. 

A lot of people think period sex must be really messy, but how messy it is depends on how heavy your period is. Having sex on a day when your period is at its heaviest will be messier than having sex when your period is really light. You might want to have sex on a towel, or something else you don't mind getting stained. Some people also choose to have sex in the shower to keep the mess to a minimum. 

Some period sex pointers:

 DON'T have vaginal sex with a tampon in. If you want to use a product to contain the bleeding during sex, Softcups, a kind of disposable menstrual cup, are designed to be useable during sex to reduce mess.

 DO make sure both partners are cool with it. Some people don't want to have period sex, and that's fine – respect their wishes if they don't want to.

 DON'T forget that it's still possible to get pregnant if you have sex during your period, so protection is important. Which brings us to….

 DO use birth control including a condom! Using a condom can both prevent pregnancy and keep you and your partner protected against sexually transmitted infections.

- Nina at Planned Parenthood

"The following day, I attended a workshop about preventing gender violence, facilitated by Katz...."

"

The following day, I attended a workshop about preventing gender violence, facilitated by Katz. There, he posed a question to all of the men in the room: "Men, what things do you do to protect yourself from being raped or sexually assaulted?"

Not one man, including myself, could quickly answer the question. Finally, one man raised his hand and said, "Nothing." Then Katz asked the women, "What things do you do to protect yourself from being raped or sexually assaulted?" Nearly all of the women in the room raised their hand. One by one, each woman testified:

"I don't make eye contact with men when I walk down the street," said one.
"I don't put my drink down at parties," said another.
"I use the buddy system when I go to parties."
"I cross the street when I see a group of guys walking in my direction."
"I use my keys as a potential weapon."

The women went on for several minutes, until their side of the blackboard was completely filled with responses. The men's side of the blackboard was blank. I was stunned. I had never heard a group of women say these things before. I thought about all of the women in my life — including my mother, sister and girlfriend — and realized that I had a lot to learn about gender.

"

- Why I Am A Male Feminist   (via jackiemoon)

fuckyeahsexeducation: Although this is probably talking about...



fuckyeahsexeducation:

Although this is probably talking about cis men, I know many trans* men with eating disorders also due to the way masculinity is portrayed, stigmatization of looking for help, and sexual standards.

Photo



Photo



Photo



"Fat" is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her I mean,..."

""Fat" is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her

I mean, is 'fat' really the worst thing a human being can be? Is 'fat' worse than 'vindictive', 'jealous', 'shallow', 'vain', 'boring' or 'cruel'? Not to me; but then, you might retort, what do I know about the pressure to be skinny? I'm not in the business of being judged on my looks, what with being a writer and earning my living by using my brain…

I went to the British Book Awards that evening. After the award ceremony I bumped into a woman I hadn't seen for nearly three years. The first thing she said to me? 'You've lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you!'

'Well,' I said, slightly nonplussed, 'the last time you saw me I'd just had a baby.'

What I felt like saying was, 'I've produced my third child and my sixth novel since I last saw you. Aren't either of those things more important, more interesting, than my size?' But no – my waist looked smaller! Forget the kid and the book: finally, something to celebrate!

I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons.

"

- J.K. Rowling (via dearscarlet)

Arkansas War on Women: Not Over Yet

fuckyeahsexeducation:

godhatesarkansas:

Monday was the last day to file bills in the Arkansas Legislature. There are some bills you should know about.

SB1157 - This one is a shell bill right now, there is only one line: http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2013/2013R/Pages/BillInformation.aspx?measureno=SB1157

Bills like this require you to look at an ultrasound or have a doctor describe an ultrasound before an abortion is preformed. The purpose of this is to shame or coerce a woman out of the procedure when she is in a very vulnerable state.  If you are a responsible person, and go early in your pregnancy, this could mean the doctor is talking to you during a transvaginal ultrasound, extending the time it is jammed up your vagina.

SB913 - This bill would put massive restrictions on pharmaceutical abortions.http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2013/2013R/Pages/BillInformation.aspx?measureno=SB913

Up until about 10 weeks (gestational), you can go to the clinic and get a series of pills to take to induce an abortion, and the pills need to be taken 3 days apart. Many women prefer this option because it is like a miscarriage and can take place while you're at home.This bill requires you to take both pills with the doctor in the room. Yes, Missy Thomas Irvin wants you to drive from Mountain Home to Little Rock twice for legal medicine, bleeding and cramping profusely while you drive home the second time.

This bill also allows the "father" or a "maternal grandparent" to sue the prescribing doctor. This bill will encourage women to get drugs illegally over the internet, without the supervision of a physician.

HB276 - There is a waiting period bill! http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2013/2013R/Pages/BillInformation.aspx?measureno=HB2276

This is a shell bill, so we don't know the length. Whatever it is, it will require women outside of Little Rock to spend extra time on the road or in a hotel.

These politicians are fired up. If they can pass clearly unconstitutional bans, they can certainly pass the incremental restrictions on abortion advocated by National Right to Life.

Join the March in Little Rock, 3PM March 23. http://tinyurl.com/arwaronwomen

more bills trying to be passed in arkansas. please get ahold of your senators and do what you can to keep this from happening.

*not just women are affected. I can get pregnant and I am not a woman, also my boyfriend is terrified that I may become pregnant and we won't be able to get an abortion or that I'll have my only form of health care (planned parenthood) taken away from me. These bills hurt everyone

New research shows 0.6% of rape allegations are false.

New research shows 0.6% of rape allegations are false.:

likeadeadchinadoll:

and for those interested, you can find the report HERE

lets-go-lesbos: Fat ≠ unhealthy.

lets-go-lesbos:

Fat ≠ unhealthy.

"We [white people] need to accept that when a person of color tells us we've fucked up, the answer is..."

"We [white people] need to accept that when a person of color tells us we've fucked up, the answer is not to get defensive. When we get that instinct to say "geez, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way at all," it's time to stop right now. It doesn't matter how you meant it. It really doesn't. Someone doesn't have to have racism in their heart to do something racist. And doing something racist doesn't make you an evil person who can never do good again, should never be an activist, should run off and hide in a hole somewhere. It means you did something hurtful, you made a big mistake, and you need to own that mistake. You need to say "I'm sorry." Full stop. I'm sorry. And if the person who called you out is generous enough to take time to explain what you did wrong, you need to have a seat and listen."

-

Avory Faucette (via woozypumpkins)

i.e. how to deal with being called out

(via grrrl-gear)

How to Deal with Hurt and Pain

onlinecounsellingcollege:

1. Try and put into words exactly how you're feeling. Is it the pain of rejection? Is it an overwhelming feeling of shame and self-loathing? Is it a sense of disbelief that you've been treated so cruelly by others? Is it a sense of utter desperation?

2. Try and find a way of expressing the pain. Sometimes we can tell the person who has hurt us– but often we feel that they won't be responsive. If that is the case, find someone you can open up to.  It's really important that you have the chance to honestly express what you're going through. If you feel there's no-one you can talk to right now, then perhaps try journaling, or using some kind of art, like music or painting.

3. If the pain's related to something that happened, admit that you can't go back and change the past. You need to let it go and keep your eyes ahead. You are not defined by what happened to you, and you have what it takes to live a rich, rewarding life.

4. Related to this, forgive yourself and don't hold on to regrets. Learn what you can – and then choose to move ahead. Don't be a victim of your past, or other people.

5. Reconnect with the person that you were previously. Think of who you might have been if this had never happened. You can still be that person: they are still a part of you.

6. Focus on the things that bring you joy and happiness, and focus on those people who love care for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment